Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey is by far the best-selling protein powder in the world. If you’ve tried a few protein powders, chances are, Gold Standard was at least one of those. On top of the Whey, the Gold Standard range extends to Casein – another excellent-selling protein supplement, and probably the best-selling casein supplement in the world as well. Now, finally, Gold Standard Pre-Workout has arrived in Australia, and we’re super excited to review it for you guys!
Gold Standard Pre-Workout is the newest pre-training igniter in the ON range, and appears to be taking over from Platinum Pre – a somewhat disappointing pre-workout popularity-wise. Australians are amongst the savviest supplement consumers in the world, and a blend as simple as Platinum Pre simply didn’t give users what they needed. Gold Standard Pre-Workout has been released to be one of the best all-round pre-workouts on the market, and at a price point that challenges the ever-popular Cellucor C4. With a far stronger formula compared to Platinum Pre, Gold Standard Pre-Workout may just attract some C4 or N.O. Xplode fans over to the Optimum range. Let’s see why.
Gold Standard Pre-Workout Key Ingredients
- Muscle Matrix – First up in Gold Standard Pre is a simple blend of creatine monohydrate and AstraGin. Creatine monohydrate, in Creapure form, is the world’s most-recognised and trusted creatine, used in hundreds of products around the globe. Creatine has several uses for hard-training athletes, which most people are aware of, while AstraGin is a patented uptake enhancer- simply speaking, it makes your body more receptive to the creatine, allowing a greater level of absorption.
- Performance Composite – The next blend in Gold Standard Pre-Workout is a blend of CarnoSyn beta-alanine with citrulline malate – two popular pre-workout ingredients. Beta-alanine is an endurance and stamina-booster, while citrulline enhances pumps, bloodflow and vascularity.
- Energy & Focus Complex – The real improvement on Platinum Pre to Gold Standard Pre-Workout is seen in this blend – you’re getting a far superior ingredient blend to help your mental and physical focus and energy. This complex includes acetyl-l-carnitine (ALC), n-acetyl l-tyrosine, caffeine and citrus bioflavonoids. These combine nicely for a tunnel-vision effect that helps you concentrate and focus on your workout, without the jitters.
Gold Standard Pre-Workout Flavours & Sizes
The new Gold Standard Pre-Workout comes in a 300g tub (30 serves), and in Fruit Punch, Green Apple, Orange and Pineapple flavours.
Gold Standard Pre-Workout Dosage
Each 10g serve of Gold Standard Pre delivers 3g creatine monohydrate, 1500mg citrulline malate, 1500mg beta-alanine, 375mg ALC, 250mg tyrosine, 175mg caffeine and 100mg citrus bioflavonoids. While these are all acceptable doses, it’s the recommended two-scoop serving size that delivers each of these in real, efficacious doses. Be sure to start with one scoop and assess tolerance from there.
Gold Standard Pre-Workout Features
- High quality raw ingredients, including Creapure creatine, AstraGin and CarnoSyn beta-alanine
- Significant mental and physical focus improvement over Platinum Pre
- Four excellent flavours
Gold Standard Pre-Workout – The Bottom Line
We’ve seen an excellent update to the Platinum Pre formula with the new Gold Standard Pre-Workout. It’s not going to be the most effective pre-workout at any one function (energy, pumps, recovery, etc.), but does all of them decently well, along similar lines to Cellucor C4. Overall a solid offering, Gold Standard Pre-Workout, if not just for the Gold Standard name, is sure to be a popular choice.
Click here to read our Disclaimer