Species supplements have gained much popularity in recent times for their thoughtful ingredient combinations and powerful supplements. Species President Dave Palumbo is one of the more knowledgeable bodybuilders to have opened his own supplement company, and is committed to releasing only the highest quality products to consumers.
Nitrolyze is the concentrated pre-workout supplement in the Species range, and is a combination of some popular and other fairly unknown ingredients. Nitrolyze claims to be the most potent pre-workout formula on the market, featuring effective dosages of ingredients with no ‘pixie dusting'. Let's see.
- Arginine (2g) - Arginine is an amino acid that has been shown to improve growth hormone levels and stimulate nitric oxide release. The effect of increased nitric oxide is enhanced oxygen delivery and bloodflow to muscles for better nutrient delivery.
- Beta-Alanine (1.6g) - Beta-alanine is a common ingredient in pre-workout supplements, and is usually under-dosed. A 1.6g serve is one of the higher amounts of beta-alanine you'll find in a preworkout, but is still around half of the recommended daily dose for optimal performance. Beta-alanine increases muscle carnosine levels which improves endurance and strength.
- Red Beet Root Juice (400mg) - This extract from red beets is an interesting supplement and has been shown to improve the performance of athletes due to its ability to release nitric oxide.
- Creatine (500mg) - While creatine has been shown to be one of the best supplements money can buy, there is quite a low dosage of it in Nitrolyze - around 10% of a standard creatine dosage.
- Cinnulin PF (5mg) - Again, another excellent ingredient, but this is included at approximately 5-10% of the usual dosage. Cinnulin PF helps to shuttle nutrients into muscle cells.
Sizes & Flavours
Species Nitrolyze is available in a 208g size (25 serves) and in Berry Blast flavour.
Each 8.3g scoop of Species Nitrolyze provides two grams of arginine and 1.6g of beta-alanine, which is good for a concentrated pre-workout. The main issue with Nitrolyze is that the other ingredients, particularly creatine, are under-dosed. Unfortunately, this is specifically what Dave Palumbo claims that Species products guard against. Nonetheless, you should feel this non-stim preworkout working within minutes, and you should definitely have an improved workout whilst on just one scoop.
A container of Species Nitrolyze will set you back around $2 per serve, which is a little higher than average for a concentrated pre-workout.
Although Species Nitrolyze ultimately falls short of its promises, it's still a solid pre-workout supplement. This is especially true for anyone who likes a concentrated dosage of ingredients, but doesn't want the stimulant effects.
Click here to read our Disclaimer